About the history of our institute:
The Institute of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machinery - until 1979 known as Institute for Hydraulic Power Plants and Pumps - covers a typical field of engineering sciences. The wide field of fluid mechanics and the application in hydraulic machinery has been tought from the initial years when the Universität Stuttgart was founded. The first institute building in Seegartenstrasse in the city of Stuttgart was destroyed during the Second World War. Under the leadership of Prof. Dr.-Ing. G. Hutarew a new building in Holzgartenstrasse (Stuttgart city as well) was inaugurated already in 1954. Therefore, related industry was asked to donate experimental equipment and other laboratory facilities.
In 1976 Prof. Dr.-Ing. G. Lein took over the leadership of the institute, and 3 years later the institute was moved onto the university campus near Stuttgart-Vaihingen. At this time, the laboratory facilities were re-designed and modernised. Finally, the new institute was inaugurated in 1985. In fact, the new Institute of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machinery is one of the most modern research institutes in the field of fluid mechanics and can be compared with other international laboratories all over the world.
In 1994 Prof. Dr.-Ing. E. Göde took over the management of the institute
Since 01/04/2010 Prof. Dr.-Ing. S. Riedelbauch has been the new head of the institute.