History

of the Insitute

1928-1930

In an extention of the building Seestraße 16 the Laboratory of Hydropower, Centrifugal Pumps and Hydraulics is built. During World War II the building is irreparably destroyed

Newly built Institute of Hydropower Machines and Pumps, 1954. (c)
Newly built Institute of Hydropower Machines and Pumps, 1954.
Experimental hall of the Institute of Hydropower Machines and Pumps, 1954. (c)
Experimental hall of the Institute of Hydropower Machines and Pumps, 1954.

1954

After two and a half years of construction, the new Institute of Hydropower Machines and Pumps is consigned to the University of Technology under the direction of Prof. Dr.-Ing is. G. Hutarew.  The objective is summarized in the three points, that are still valid today:

  1. Teaching of students
  2. research
  3. Projects for and cooperating with industrial companies

The structure of the institute is supported with DM 940000 by the state Baden-Württemberg. Almost the entire mechanical and electrical equipment worth more than DM 425000 are donations from companies from all over Europe.

 

Original plate of the Holzgartenstraße 15. (c)
Original plate of the Holzgartenstraße 15.

1969

The Institute is constantly evolving, both in teaching and research. The magazine "Southwest German Monthly Magazine for Culture, Business and Travel" writes:

"In cooperation with the industry, new equipment and parts of hydraulic machines are developed, that relevant domestic and foreign companies can not develop in their own laboratories."

1976

The institutes direction is passed to Prof. Dr.-Ing. G. Lein.

New construction of the institute in Stuttgart-Vaihingen, since 1984. (c)
New construction of the institute in Stuttgart-Vaihingen, since 1984.

1979-1985

In 1979 the decision to move the institute in a new building in the university area of Vaihingen, Pfaffenwaldring 10 is made. The test facilities may be redrawn completely in planning.

In 1985, the new building is inaugurated under the name of Institute of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machinery (IHS). It is one of the most advanced institutions in the field of hydraulic fluid mechanics.

1986-1994

With the increasing number of students the teaching increases at the IHS. The 4 lectures from the beginning have become 8, the number of student works have multiplied.

1994 the former director Prof. Dr.-Ing. G. Lein hands over the direction to Prof. Dr.-Ing. E. Göde.

2010-Today

Since 01.04.2010 Prof. Dr.-Ing. S. Riedelbauch is the director if the institute. In the course of restructuring the premises and parts of the equipment were modernized.

To the top of the page